The rewrite allowed me to split my writing and my blog articles into separate sections. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but octopress and jekyll don't support multiple blogs or splitting a single blog into multiple sections. However, middleman has an undocumented and unfinished multiblog feature in the master branch. With a little effort I got it to work. I'll write something up about that later. The source for the blog is available on github if you want to try to figure out what I did.
I wish I could take complete credit for the snazzy new theme but I started with the css from macro.org as a base and the cute little wolf in the header is a stock image I paid for. The majority of the css is written by me, I just can't claim complete credit for it.